Saturday, March 30, 2019

(Don't) Follow Your Heart


"Just follow your heart!" That saying has popped up in every thing from movies, shows, music, everything as if it were a wise saying. It's shown up in the moral of the story even in places that don't say it outright. So, what's my problem with this worldly proverb?

It's in direct opposition to every truth uttered by God.

The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? -Jeremiah 17:9

Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh. -Romans 13:14

For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. -Matthew 15:19
Your heart was not made to be your master or your leader in anything. Your heart was meant to be led. It's full of every corruption that it has been exposed to since your birth, and if you follow it, you follow it straight into the hornet's nest.

What does my heart say? It gets irrationally angry when someone cuts me off in traffic, thinks working for a living is a complete waste of time, and falls for every commercial's idea for what I need to be happy in life (ooh, that burger would fulfill me, or wait maybe it's the newest dieting plan? Nope, it definitely the burger). This is on a good day when the darkness of the world doesn't encroach on me quite as much.
Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. -Proverbs 4:23

Murderers, rapists, adulterers were all struggling with the desires of their heart. What kind of leader is that? I really don't want to follow something that's brought me several times to the icy fingers of depression. I've heard its words when I've been overcome with anxiety, lying about my worth and exaggerating the importance of others' opinions. When you follow your heart, you follow the world.

If your heart isn't the leader, who needs to guide your heart?

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. -Psalm 23:1

I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. John 10:11

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6
God's words and guidance can be found, first and foremost, through the Bible. Do what it takes to be reminded of God's ways and truths. The world is quick to encroach upon you. Let God's light in daily through reading the Bible, speaking to loved ones of God, singing Christian music, or praying often.

My son, pay attention to what I say; turn your ear to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart. -Proverbs 4:20-21

Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as reminders on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, speaking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorposts of your houses and on your gates, so that as long as the heavens are above the earth, your days and those of your children may be multiplied in the land the LORD swore to give your fathers. -Deuteronomy 11:18-21
The heart is a liar. Put on God's armor and pick up His sword to fight the darkness within and without. You may tire, but God never will.

God bless.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?