Saturday, May 4, 2019

Threefold Cord - Better Together


I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus... And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ - to the glory and praise of God. -Philippians 1:4-11

Do you ever encourage other believers in their faith?

It seems a rare thing to hear anyone encourage others, especially without prompting, in any area of life. More often, we're quick to complain about others or point out each other's flaws. At best, we just follow the idiom that if you have nothing nice to say, it's better to say nothing at all. We rarely, if you're anything like me, point out other's good points, especially in matters of faith.

Speaking about matters of faith is uncomfortable to me. Yes, me, the one with blog all about what I've learned about God and faith that week. I can sit pretty comfortably behind a screen and figure out the answers to questions. I can spin a few words together to make a semi-coherent statement. However, place me face-to-face with another person, and I avoid eye contact when someone speaks about God. This is one of my weaknesses. It's not that I'm ashamed, but I feel inadequate eloquently explaining my beliefs or my relationship with God. I feel like I wouldn't do it or God justice. I also hate conflict, particularly in this area, because God is so close to my heart, I feel pained if anyone speaks against Him. I should pray on that.

I don't know how Paul, who wrote the above letter to the Church of Philippi, was with speaking face-to-face, but he could only write in this instance since he was confined in prison. He seemed to be the type of person to travel and try to see the various churches (or start them) in person, if that were at all possible. He probably would've preferred standing in front of the new Christians and praising them for their great faith and works.

However you do it, you may need to encourage your family in God today. We are surrounded by darkness and hemmed in by the terrors of the world. Though we have the rock of God, we need to remember to be the light, not just to the others so they may see the way, but to each other. In this way, the faithful are strengthened further and the weak can see what love is and know who they can emulate or from who they can seek advice. Don't forget to pray for and share your joy with each other.

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. -1 Thessalonians 5:11

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. -Hebrews 10:23-25

Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: -1 Peter 4:8-10

Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken. -Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. -Philippians 4:8

Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. -Romans 15:2

Christians may come in many forms and denominations, but in so far as we agree that we are all Children of the One True King, we should act as brothers and sisters.

I'm going to be on a mission to praise those individuals of great faith in my life. Here's some great things our brothers and sisters have been doing lately around the world:

Kansas Church Pays off $2.2 Million in Medical Debt for Families in Need

Preschoolers Sing 'Jesus Loves Me' as Tornado Rips off roof... and Everyone Survives

American Idol Judges Brought to Tears After Learning Church Sent Once-Homeless Girl to Audition

Innocent Man on Death Row Shares How God Used His False Conviction to Share the Good News

International Fellowship of Christians & Jews (IFCJ) helps prosecuted refugees fleeing to Jordan

Christians are standing firm in their faith despite an uptick in attacks throughout the world:

Napal

Sri Lanka

Cameroon

Burkina Faso

or attacks in expression of faith like in China


God is on the move in the world today! Who will you encourage today? God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?