Sunday, December 25, 2016

What Are You Celebrating?


I have a confession. I've been overwhelmed the past few days. Instead of sugarplums, there's been visions of chores, errands, and bills dancing in my head. I want our house to feel homey this season, there to be lots of good food on the table, and plenty of presents for my daughter to bring smiles and laughter.

There's something about nature that makes me feel closer to God. I was driving to my parents' house in the country during an awe-inspiring sunset spread out above a glowing field. That was when it hit me: what are you celebrating? I've learned to recognize God's voice, though I'm not always good at listening. This time, it felt like a gut-punch.

Are you celebrating cleanliness, materialism, or how others think of you? Then, why are you stressing about it? Christmas for me is about God's grace, love, and blessings. His son was born in a lowly manger, lived in a poor carpenters home, and never accumulated many material things as His purpose was to teach others of God's love while on the road. Are you much better than Him?

This Christmas, let's celebrate the true meaning of Jesus' birth. Let's experience joy over the things we have and not the things we want. Let's spend the holiday getting closer to each other and not showing each other up.

What are you focusing on this Christmas? Whatever it is, I pray it is on God and the Prince of Peace.

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”"Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:38-42

In Hebrew, one would say Shalom, peace be unto you this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?