Saturday, May 20, 2017

Anxiety & Depression: It's Ok to NOT Be Ok

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:25-34

In the ebb and flow of life, there are times and situations where we all fall into despair or pull our hair in anxiety. It's a normal reaction to the darkness of the world. This is not our final destination, this is not our true home, and we are surviving in the acidic environment of humanity's many downfalls. The above verse helped me through many times and continues to do so, which is why I posted it in its entirety.

There are also those of us who have "imbalances" in our body chemistry that causes higher levels of worry, fear, and depression even during times of relative calm. I firmly believe that these are the attributes of those people with higher levels of empathy and soulful connection to others in ways we don't yet understand.

Either because of circumstances or the make of their bodies, there have been innumerable Biblical characters who've shared in their fair share of the darkest valleys. Every time, there's been a repeated message from God.

Elijah:

"He came to a broom bush, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. 'I have had enough Lord, he said. Take my life, I am not better than my ancestors.'" 1 Kings 19:4

He ran away from Jezebel and her threats of death, tired and afraid for his life. Though he fled despite God's instructions, God showed up with a gentle heart. He first sent an angel who laid down sustenance for him. This is when God tells him to wait for him on the mountain.

"Then, a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, 'What are you doing here, Elijah?'" 1Kings 19:11-13

God was in the soft whisper, always by Elijah's side no matter what his state of mind.

Jonah:

"Now O Lord, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live...I am angry enough to die." Jonah 4:3-9

Instead of rejoicing at the people's turn around at his prophecy, he despaired that he would no longer be considered a true prophet since his prophecy didn't come true. Despite his obstinate behavior, God showed up with a gentle heart.

"There he made himself a shelter, sat in its shade and waited to see what would happen to the city. Then the Lord God provided a leafy plant and made it grow up over Jonah to give shade for his head to ease his discomfort, and Jonah was very happy about the plant." Jonah 4:5-6

God also used the plant to give Jonah a message on anger, but He'd stayed by Jonah's side through the good and bad times.

Moses:

He killed an Egyptian without due process and fled for his life for forty years. When God showed up in a burning bush, Moses seemed to find himself unworthy based on past failures, and God never stated he was worthy. This is important to remember.

"But suppose they will not believe me or listen to my voice; suppose they say, 'The Lord has not appeared to you.' then Moses said to the Lord, "O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant; but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue." Exodus 4:1-14

It was through Moses' weaknesses not his strengths, that God would show His grace and power. Again, after the Israelites were wailing over their hunger, Moses stated:
"I am not able to bear all these people alone. The burden is too heavy for me. If You treat me like this, please kill me here and now if I have found favor in Your sight and do not let me see my wretchedness!" Numbers 11:10-15

These are the words of a man in despair. Yet, God showed up with a gentle heart.

"I will take some of the power of the spirit that is on you and put it on them. They will share the burden of the people with you so that you will not have to carry it alone." Numbers 11:17
Moses is still ranting and ruminating on his problems when God cuts in.

"Is the Lord's arm too short? Now you will see whether or not what I say will come true for you." Numbers 11:23

So, He got a little snarky with Moses (which is hilarious to me), but He was always there for Moses and ready to lift his troubles. All Moses had to do was ask. What's equally memorable about this and the others who yell and rave at God is that He is always listening with patience and never do I find Him getting angry just because they are upset. He understands and wants them to pour their heart out, even if it's anger toward Him.

Job:

Ah, yes, good ol' Job. We can't speak on anxiety and depression without mentioning him.

"Why did I not perish at birth, and die as I came from the womb?" Job 3:11

"I have no peace, no quietness, I have no rest, but only turmoil." Job 3:26
"I loathe my very life, therefore I will give free rein to my complaint and speak out in then bitterness of my soul." Job 10:1

"Terrors overwhelm me... my life ebbs away, days of suffering grip me. Night pierces my bones, my gnawing pains never rest." Job 30:15-17

His book is a plethora of depression and anxiety and no wonder as everything and everyone had been taken from him, except his wife. Yet, he blames God for all this. God shows up in full effect, and honestly, you need to read the full reply to understand how awesome it really is.

" Then the Lord spoke to Job out of the storm. He said:
'Who is this that obscures my plans
with words without knowledge?
Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.

Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone—
while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels shouted for joy?

...Surely you know, for you were already born!
You have lived so many years!

...Who has a claim against me that I must pay?
Everything under heaven belongs to me.'" Job 38-44

Yet, He, again, shows up with a gentle yet stern heart. He sets the record straight and good thing, since He's the only One who can set Job's life right again, which He certainly does.

David:
"Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God." Psalm 42:11

David lost both of his sons, Saul was forever chasing him, and he had guilt of sin that tormented him. He asks a controversial question, "Why have you forgotten (or forsaken) me?" (Psalm 42:9).

Again, God steps in with a gentle heart. The fact is, God considered David a "man after my own heart." Do you really think He forsook him? God says, "My love will never be taken away from him." (2 Samuel 7:15)

God established David as king of Israel and promised him that his kingdom would endure forever. (Some claim Queen Elizabeth and her family are direct descendants of David, but that is a controversial subject.) Point is, God would not only be by David's side forever but also by all of his descendants.

Jesus:

Yep, Jesus.

David's Psalm 42 is nearly identical to Psalm 22 that was spoken by Jesus on the cross.

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Psalm 22:1

This is said by Jesus while in agony on the cross; dying for our sins, He stood for all of us sinners feeling lost and abandoned. There is an answer to that question.
"The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8

Just because you can't see God in the darkness doesn't mean He isn't there. In fact, Jesus says this:

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

In Isaiah's prophecy of Jesus, he is described as "a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief." Is. 53:3

The night before He was captured, when no one else but Him knew what the next day would entail, Jesus was understandably upset.

"'My soul is deeply grieved to the point of death, remain here and keep watch.' and He went a little beyond them, and fell to the ground and began to pray that if it were possible, the hour might pass Him by. And He was saying 'Abba, Father! All things are possible for You, remove this cup from Me; yet not what I will, but what You will.' then, an angel from heaven appeared to Him and strengthened Him. And in His anguish, He prayed more earnestly, and His sweat became like drops of blood falling to the ground." Luke 22:41-44

What's sad is that although He'd been there for us all through our tribulations again and again, as documented in the Bible, His disciples could not even keep their eyes open to comfort Him in His distress. Yet, He wasn't alone. The Father and the angels He sent were there for Him.

Here are some other times God reminds us that He will always be there, even through our darkest days:

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:6-7
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God." 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." Psalm 147:3

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." Matthew 5:4

God reminds us that through doing our purpose in life, loving and caring for others, our spirits will lift as well:

“'Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday... then you will find your joy in the LORD, and I will cause you to ride in triumph on the heights of the land and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.' The mouth of the LORD has spoken." Isaiah 58:1-14

Please remember, dear soul, whatever you're going through that God is with you even if you can't see Him. Forget that old saying, "God will never give you more than you can handle." It's a lie. God never tests you nor gives you evil, but the dark world will definitely give you more than you can handle alone. That is when you need to lean on the One who can handle anything. Give it to HIM. In the same way God wanted to show His grace and power through Moses' weaknesses, He wants to show the same through yours. Don't hold the world on your shoulders. You weren't made that way. God made the world, however, so He can lift your worries while sustaining you in ways you never knew you needed. Be still and listen to that gentle whisper because there is God, forever by your side.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?